Had a new boiler or cylinder installed? Keep you paperwork safe!

Had a new boiler or cylinder installed? Keep you paperwork safe!

Make sure you keep your boiler documents in a safe place.

There are some situations where having actual hard-copy paper documents relating to your boiler is an essential safeguard.

While you may want to be as environmentally-friendly as possible, it has to be recognised that online cloud-based storage systems can suffer from IT breakdowns and the physical buildings in which the servers those systems are kept are not completely immune to damage from fire or flood. Even your external hard drive can fail after a number of years.

Of course, such events are thankfully rare, it can be a nuisance if you need access to your documents urgently.

If, for example, you have household emergency insurance cover and your boiler breaks down, (usually in the cold months!) you will find that a condition of the cover requires a certificate of proof that your boiler has been serviced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer within the past year. Although you make be asked to email a copy, it is always a good idea to follow up with a hard copy in the post so that you have proof it has actually been sent.

Another example is when you are selling your home.  You will need certificates of servicing and/or installation if you have had a new boiler fitted.

It is used as part of the information needed for an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) and also, in the case of a newly-fitted boiler, to ensure that the appliance has been commissioned and then registered with Gas Safe, which then issues a compliance certificate, and that the local Buildings Control department has been notified.

Any new or replacement gas appliance installed after 1st April 2005 is subject to Building Regulations. The certificates are part of the paperwork you must supply via your solicitor as part of the information that must be given to the property’s buyer.

If you are a Landlord, legally you must comply with both annual gas appliance servicing regulations and also with the Building Control regulations on fitting new appliances. For all boilers, there is a detailed set of requirements (Approved Document J) that covers specifics such as hearths, flue linings, the air supplies, chimney labelling and acceptable positions for the flue outlet. Every boiler, whether it uses gas, oil or solid fuel, must comply with these guidelines.

Despite concerns for the environment and the increasing urgency to combat climate change, there are times when an actual physical document will still be needed – and kept in a safe place.

Leave a comment