What responsibilities do Landlords have for the safety of their tenants?

What responsibilities do Landlords have for the safety of their tenants?

When you rent out your property to tenants as a landlord you have a responsibility to ensure that any gas appliances supplied as part of the tenancy are safe for them to use.

Under Health and Safety Executive regulations, The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, landlords must make sure gas appliances, and also fittings, pipework and flues are safe.

The regulations cover rental:

  1. By local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
  2. Rooms let in bed-sit (HMO) accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
  3. Rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.

As a landlord you must ensure that an annual gas safety check is carried out for all existing gas appliances (boiler, cooker, fires etc) and that a first annual check is carried out within 12 months of the installation of any new appliance.

The same regulations apply to landlords renting premises to private tenants where the gas supply is via LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) stored in a tank on site.

The annual checks must be carried out by an approved gas safety engineer, who must supply a certificate on completion and landlords must keep at least two years’ copies of these certificates.

What if my properties are all managed using a lettings agent?

You should make sure that your contract with the agent clearly specifies who is to make the arrangements for maintenance and safety checks and if you leave it to the agent you should require that the work is carried out by a Gas Safe Engineer and that copies of the certificate be supplied to you as well as being kept on the agent’s files.

What about gas appliances owned by the tenant?

You will still have responsibility for checks on the pipework, flues etc related to their appliance and it is good practise to send a reminder to the tenant that their appliances should be serviced and checked for safety each year by a Gas Safe engineer, and where possible, offer to include these (at reasonable cost) within gas safety maintenance undertaken on your behalf.

As a local company UK Boiler Care offers local specialised cover to landlords and agents which includes annual the annual service to the boiler, the Gas Safety inspection (unlimited gas appliances), CP12 Gas Landlord Certificate and, with the landlord’s agreement, the option of tenants notifying us directly of any problems with appliances or associated pipework and flues.

Leave a comment